Rome - Marc Haegeman Photography

Sant'Andrea della Valle

Sant'Andrea was built between 1590 and 1650, with successive designs by Giacomo della Porta and Carlo Maderno. Maderno's striking dome (the second largest in Rome after St. Peter's) was decorated by rival artists Giovanni Lanfranco and Domenichino (Domenico Zampieri). Lanfranco created the Celestial Glory, while Domenichino decorated the pendentives with the four Evangelists. Domenichino also completed the fresco cycle above the sanctuary with scenes of the life of St Andrew

Sant'Andrea della VallebaroquechurchesarchitectureceilingfrescoesCentro StoricoCounterReformation