The western façade of the church
The simple façade with no central entrance, but doors leading to the aisles. The right door was used by the monks, the left one by the lay brothers.
While the decline had already started centuries earlier, the abbey was still occupied in 1790. After the French Revolution the buildings were saved from ruin by Prosper Mérimée, gradually restored and bought by the state.